[pianotech] OT: Discussion threads & web forum

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 06:49:24 MST 2011

I keep seeing new threads created when someone has replied. For instance,
replies for the same topic begin their separate new thread. It makes it
frustrating to try to read the same discussion: replies keep showing up in
multiple threads. And, Joe Garrett's replies are always begun in a new
thread. (Is that because some receive mail in digest form and have to copy
and paste into a new email?)

Anyone else seeing the same thing? Are folks just not selecting 'Reply' with
their email software? Maybe it's my problem -- using Gmail, and perhaps
there's some quirk there. I can possibly send a jpeg of the screenshot later
today. Right now, the Inbox is cleaned up and wouldn't show that very well.

Second thing. There has been talk of making the list a web discussion forum
(similar to Pianoworld's). Any progress on that? While that certainly has
its limitations, it at least tends to keep the same discussions threaded
together. One other forum I subscribe to has a nice feature of highlighting
new discussion activity. You can easily see all threads, but only the ones
that have new activity are shown in bold and/or highlighted text. I hate the
search feature of that forum, though. It's more difficult to find particular
keywords. But it brings some new features that are helpful ... the ability
to edit a post, for instance.

--
JF