[pianotech] Counts .......

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Fri Jan 28 21:34:54 MST 2011

My mentor, as previously stated, was an aural tuner for over 30+ years.
Pianos - and - Organs - and - some times as they play together.
To - save - his - hearing - he moved to the use of Cybertuner.

If your mentor started using a Cybertuner to save his hearing, he started using it for the wrong reason. Tuning a piano will not harm your hearing if it's done right. What some tuners do is strike a keys hard to set the string. That needs to be done whether using a ETD or tuning aurally. But most of the tuning can be done hitting the keys softly. And as Diane said, there is no evidence that tuning without an ETD is any more harmfull than tuning with one.

Although there might be one or two RPT's who only tune aurally, they are not bashing those who use an ETD. What they are saying, however, is that until you know what a good tuning is supposed to sound like, you'll never know if your machine is doing it right, or not. What you keep trying to say, is that there is no need to know how to tune aurally, because all you need is that ETD. And that, Duaine, is just plain wrong. And the more you try to explain yourself, Duaine, the more you look like an ass.

Wim