[pianotech] Counts .......

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Fri Jan 28 21:54:05 MST 2011

On 01/28/2011 10:34 PM, tnrwim at aol.com wrote:

>     My mentor, as previously stated, was an aural tuner for over 30+ years.
>
>     Pianos - and - Organs - and - some times as they play together.
>
>     To - save - his - hearing - he moved to the use of Cybertuner.
>

> If your mentor started using a Cybertuner to save his hearing, he
> started using it for the wrong reason. Tuning a piano will not harm
> your hearing if it's done right. What some tuners do is strike a keys
> hard to set the string. That needs to be done whether using a ETD or
> tuning aurally. But most of the tuning can be done hitting the keys
> softly. And as Diane said, there is no evidence that tuning without an
> ETD is any more harmfull than tuning with one.
>
> Although there might be one or two RPT's who only tune aurally, they
> are not bashing those who use an ETD. What they are saying,
> however, is that until you know what a good tuning is supposed to
> sound like, you'll never know if your machine is doing it right, or
> not. What you keep trying to say, is that there is no need to know how
> to tune aurally, because all you need is that ETD. And that, Duaine,
> is just plain wrong. And the more you try to explain yourself, Duaine,
> the more you look like an ass.
>
> Wim
Wim, I swear, the more you talk, the more you set off my buttons.

Again, what gives you the right to tell a person that tuning pianos is
not harmful to the ears ? Any - noise - loud or soft - is going to
damage the ear if done long enough !!!! And, the guy that told my mentor
was an ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat - Doctor)

Again, what gives you the right to tell a person their tuning sound like
sh*t ?

Again, what gives you the right to tell me that I don't know what a good
tuning sounds like ?

If ETD's didn't do a great job in tuning (which again has been proven)
then I probably would not be tuning at all.

I have taken classes with Dean Reyburn demonstrating aural tuning and
Cybertuner tunings side by side.

Again, Wim, if I'm an ass, at least I'm still in St. Louis with a pretty
successful business and don't have to move to Hawaii.

'nough said on that

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 11 years