[pianotech] the big discussion

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Jan 31 12:31:30 MST 2011

The question being discussed was whether Jim Coleman's expertise as an
aural
tuner played any role in the contest. Of course he knew the particular
pianos
being used, and of course he had experience using his SAT on that
particular
piano, and knew that it was a viable task which the SAT would do well.
If the
model of piano chosen was one which he knew his SAT would not tune very
well,
and he'd accepted that and used the pure machine function without
alteration
for the contest, he'd have sold his machine short.

You can't dissect someone's "ETD tuner" from the aural tuning
background, it's all
one person. It's not "cheating" to know from long experience that the SAT
will work fine for a contest, without tweaking. So of course he was a
"hybrid"
tuner for the contest, and it's no reflection on his ethics at all. To set
up the contest using a "pure" ETD tuner who had never successfully tuned
a piano without an ETD would be a rigged contest favoring the aural side.

Perhaps other people can answer this better than me, but I find it hard to
believe that the people who originally invented ETDs, and then improved
them,
intended for them to be used by people unable to tune a piano on their own.
Surely they were intended all along for "hybrid" tuners to use?

Susan