[pianotech] UK (was Respect)

Barrie Heaton piano at a440.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 16:32:26 MST 2011

In message <201101310642.p0V6go2L007615 at b.mail.sonic.net>, Horace
Greeley <hgreeley at sonic.net> writes
> I've also gathered that the overall standard of tuning is noticeably
>higher in the UK than here; although, I'm not sure that situation
>hasn't changed with most of the former schools closing in the last
>couple of decades.
>
>Best.
>
>Horace

Yes most of the training schools have gone,  there has been a bit of
dumming down of standards to cut cost in the last 10 years

We have just completed a survey of tuners in the UK and it is not
looking good for the future

The UK will have to go down the road of distance learning and using ETD
as there is going to be a very big shortage of tuners in the UK in 10
years  But the problem with distance learning its  dependant on self
discipline and good mentors, As to  mentors in the UK at the moment they
are just not there,  as 95% of tuners in the UK trained in a school for
2 - 3 years,  the attitude to  distance learning is at best sceptical.

We are looking at distance learning but more on the lines of block
release that is ...  you go to school for 10 weeks in a year in 2 week
blocks the rest of the time you do the distance learning with on line
support.

Barrie,

--
Barrie Heaton      PGP key on request           http://www.a440.co.uk/