[pianotech] [OT] Stuff Which Should Really Be on PTG-L

Dale Probst dale at wardprobst.com
Fri Jul 1 19:39:39 MDT 2011

Hello Mr. Truitt,

I think you are equating quantity with quality both in the statistics on
number of posts and on the larger audience here on pianotech. I suggested
moving it to ptg-l because that is what that list is for- discussion of PTG
policies and procedures. That list is limited to members who will have
opportunity to change things at Council. Discussing it here is contrary to
the stated purpose of this list which should be about piano technology. You
are free to disagree but if you want to implement changes in PTG, I suggest
that you follow the policies and procedures that have been developed by the
membership for implementing those changes. You may get a lot of "attaboy"
and "me too" here but unless those folks follow up with their delegates to
Council, this is as far as you will get.

I know I'm in the minority here, it's fine, been there before. I' started on
the list before it was even a list and was still on a bulletin board. I've
seen a lot of people come and go. I've didn't post much when I was on the
Board because I was reading the list from the archives and it was a pain.
So, I know what it feels like to be shut out from the list by software I
could not deal with.

Pianotech as a community will exist no matter what the software is in vogue
at the time. People will come and go, things will change and some won't
bother to adapt. But if it's truly a valuable community, which I believe it
is, it will prosper no matter what inconveniences pop up. If you want to
keep this list stasis indefinitely all that is needed is a group of
volunteers to deal with administrations issues and a request for action to
the board. But be careful what you ask for, it's been relatively easy so far
but then you would be getting into real work. Work that Andy Rudoff, Ron
Berry, Phil Bondi, Kent Swafford, Dave Porritt, Brian Lawson, John Baird and
others have done on their own time for years without complaining.

You are putting the blame for the loss of community on the difficulty of
using the Higher Logic software. Just consider for a moment that the blame
may equally lie on the lack of substantial piano related topics on this
list. People will go where the content is, that's human nature. There have
been some decent discussions on the HL site and I hope to see more. And any
of you can go there and review them whenever you want. Or you can stay here
and do the work necessary to maintain this list. Or something else can
happen. But this community won't die because of a software issue. It will
only die if it becomes irrelevant to the people involved.

Mr. Truitt, whether that happens would be up to you and the other members of
this community, no one or thing else.

Dale
PS- I didn't respond to your post earlier because I wanted to think about it
before I replied, sorry it wasn't on your timetable.