[pianotech] CA Glue and Tuning Pins

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at frontier.com
Tue Jul 5 14:35:31 MDT 2011

Lee,

1.  Enduring, maybe not permanent.  And renewable - if any pins loosen
up later, you can re-apply the CA.
2.  Schedule the work for the low humidity season.  Tip the piano.
Vacuum or otherwise clean the tuning pin field as thoroughly as you can,
because any dirt you leave will likely be enshrined under a clear-coat
of CA.  Mask or shroud anything you don't want to get CA on, including
the floor.  Do what you've got to do to ensure that the CA gets to the
pinblock (i.e. past the bushings).  If the holes have enlarged to the
extent that there is a gap, just run the CA into the gap.  If no gap,
drill a hole down through each bushing.  This was discussed in recent
posts, add about a half-hour for the drilling.  A variety of methods for
transporting the CA to the point of application have been discussed here
as well:  run it down a straw, use a syringe, use the very fine tip
extensions available at hobby shops, run it down a length of wire.  Wear
a respirator and safety glasses, some use a small fan to blow fresh air
towards their face and carry away the CA fumes.  You can tune
immediately in most cases, although I suspect the results are better if
you let it cure completely first.
3.  I base my price on 2 hours (2.5 if drilling bushings) plus materials
and supplies.  Some of that time is for putting together the kit in my
shop, and cleaning it and putting it away afterwards.

hope this helps

Mike