[pianotech] Horse and buggy users.

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Wed Jul 20 12:34:11 MDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> On 7/20/2011 11:07 AM, William Monroe wrote:
>
>> No, Ron,
>>
>> You are not being told to "shut up and go away" as you put it.
>>

> "It's here to stay, you'll just have to take the time to learn how to use
> it" isn't equivalent?

No.

>  That is
>> your interpretation, not the general implication.  To suggest that "we
>> have all understood this from the very first day" is very far from the
>> truth.  I certainly didn't, and there are many who still don't.
>>

> I've been reading how great it is for the office in nearly every post
> responding to list complaints from the beginning - in lieu of addressing
> list complaints. I've read it at least thirty times. I don't understand how
> it's not understood unless no one is reading those posts.

You don't have to understand something for it to be true.

>  No one is reassuring you that, "everything except what we are concerned
>> with is working fine."
>>

> Isn't answering list specific complaints with assurances that this software
> is working wonderfully for the office equivalent?
>

> No, it provides context to remind you that there are other considerations
besides the listserv portion.  I have seen other answers given for list
specific complaints, but they all require patience - something which seems
in short supply.

>  What we (I include myself in that number now)
>> are trying to tell you is that we recognize there are shortcomings with
>> the "new" list and the concerns are not being ignored.
>>

> Where is the information on what - list specific - is being done, and it's
> status? Other than "we're looking into it"?
>
> Have you listened to the "pianotech live" item that was posted by Ron
Berry?  Perhaps that will have an answer or two.  I've not yet heard it.

>  And please do not suggest that
>> derogatory comments such as those you've quoted are being issued by
>> everyone who wants to move forward with the new system.
>>

> I don't suggest anything. "Moving forward" is precisely what I'm talking
> about. This includes fixing problems like making the email portion of the
> list that is offered in the PDA and plain text format actually function. I
> understand this was added because of the number of other requests from
> subscribers other than PTG, so it seems to be an option people would like.
> How about if it worked?

I don't have any problems with it.  But I can recognize there are minor
issues like the character thing you keep on about.  I'm not suggesting it
should be ignored, but I am suggesting it is so far removed from a fatal
flaw that if it's not fixed tomorrow, I'm not going to loose sleep over it.

>  Most of us are
>> moving forward without being condescending.  Please stop focusing on
>> those who are.  It's lose, lose, you know that.
>>

> That sounds very like take it or leave it, as "moving forward" typically
> does.

Interpret as you wish, it is indeed your prerogative.  That's not at at what
it means, but I can't translate it FOR you.

>  I haven't seen the answers as "rah, rah" though you obviously have.
>>

> At least diversionary, as yet another reassurance that this software is
> just what the organization and office needs as a response to list specific
> complaints, doesn't address anything useful at all.

As above.

>   Again, don't think that slow response is ignoring you and others.  You
>> may choose to believe that your constructive suggestions are being
>> ignored since they are not yet fixed, but that is simply not true.
>>

> Show us. What, specifically, is being done to address the list concerns
> that have been offered?
> Ron N

Patience gwasshoppah, volunteer efforts sometimes take more time than you
might personally expect.

William R. Monroe