[pianotech] tightening the pressure bar

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Fri Jul 29 17:56:54 MDT 2011

I am curious to hear your thoughts about tightening up the hold down screws
on an upright pressure bar - pulling the bar down to put more pressure on
the strings.

That is; when do you decide to tighten and why - that is before you
experiment - before you tighten and just see what happens?

Working on a 40's vintage Wurlitzer 42" console I found it sharp from the
lo-tenor to the top and after 3 passes it still wanted to pull sharp (likely
a separate issue).

It has semi loose tuning pins - the type where you could feel every tick
with the slightest movement of the tuning hammer and every tick produced a
noticeable pitch change - it was not easy to set the pins.

Thinking that tightening the pressure bar could add some drag/friction and
help with this situation?

Thanks,

Gene