[pianotech] True value

Wim Blees tnrwim at aol.com
Sun Jul 31 18:46:36 MDT 2011

Two things about values and inflation.

In about 1998 I was asked to appraise a 5 yr old S. The customer bought it because the salesman told him it would incease in value, more than the stock market. He actually got mad at me for telling him his piano was worth $5000 less than what he paid for it.

Steinway claims their pianos increase in value. They might, but not any more than any other piano. I compared the retail price of 1960 Starck spinet with what that same piano sold for in 1995, with what a Steinway grand was sold for in 1960 and again in 1995, and both increased in value the same percentage.  If you did the same with almost any brand, iver a similar time frame, you would find the same thing.  What will make a Steinway worth more, however, is the quality of contruction. But if both pianos were properly taken care of, the values would be comparable.

Wim Blees
Hawaii

Sent from my HTC PURE™, a Windows® phone from AT&T