[pianotech] Key recovering-was wagner planner

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Dec 6 21:25:59 MST 2012

  Dave and all
  Having done my own key work in the past, I found its a job I despise and loose lots of money at. If you like doing this job then one should knock themselves out and whistle a happy tune. But if like me you don't enjoy the gnashing of teeth, consider sending them out. I mean for under $300 an impeccable looking key set can be had from many vendors. Yvonne Ashmore (Grass Valley),
 Ron Kneale(does work for Yam.) and others etc.

  So FWIW... ..Why not send the keys out? For me recovering keys is a money loosing proposition. I can tune & service three pianos in a day make at least 600 bucks. I can give half to the key guy and get a really nice job... instead of an 8 hour exercise in frustration.  Just my usually biased opinion....!!

D.

Dale Erwin R.P.T.
Erwin's Piano Restoration Inc.
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S. pianos