[pianotech] unsubscribe

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Tue Jan 3 12:33:05 MST 2012

>David Skolnick said:

Ryan -
First, and most importantly,  it's "nik" not "nick".

Next,  as I mentioned in the unrelated private post, I was not
intending to chastise you with any more severity than Horace did.  We
see how much trouble that caused for him.  I disagree with nothing
you say below, for the most part, though I'm not sure it's fair to
attribute Jim B's decision to unsubscribe completely to the list
issues.  There has been quite a bit posted recently saying that the
list was NOT being shut down immediately, and, in fact, Jim hasn't
posted (except for once, earlier this year) since early 2008, so we
must remember to be careful with our interpretation of data.

With regard to political speech, I agree that it is difficult to
discern exactly where the line is, but it's important to remember
that it does exist, to wit: it's one thing to criticize, strongly,
the decisions and actions taken by the administrators (the committee,
the Board, the Home Office) AS administrators of the list while, at
the same time, keeping separate their functions as officers and
administrators of PTG.   Think of it this way, perhaps.  Assuming
that the basic infrastructure of this mail list were still viable,
what would prevent us from finding an alternate host?  The
cost?  Rights to the name "Pianotech"?  Redundancy with my.ptg lists?

Also, if the inadequacies (in some peoples opinion) of the current
offering were actually remedied, would the continued existence of the
two "pianotech"s make sense?  Is there something fundamentally
different in the originating mission of the two that is not easily
resolved?  Open membership as opposed to membership closely tied to
PTG interaction?  RonN made the same point, way back, on Dec. 31st.

As I said, there IS no dedicated list that this readership can
redirect to in order to discuss self-referential aspects of the
list's functioning.  It all has to happen here, in one big
room.  (Sounds like a caucus).  The self-perpetuating irony, as
you've seen, is that, in order to engage in such discussion, we seem
to be herded to the website, and, even there, need to make the
distinction between what is "User Help Group", and what goes to
"PTG-L".  For example, in your earlier post, where you said:

>I think the problem is this Board of Directors is too emotionally
>invested in the new and improved product because they have spent so
>much time, energy, and (our)$$ on it.  The only hope would be to
>elect a new board who isn't so invested in it.

The first sentence would be at home on the User Help list.  The
second belonged on PTG-L.  It may seem absurd, but one way of
unmasking it as such is to follow it through to the extreme.  Send a
different version to each of the relevant lists.  Is someone on
"Users" going to say, "No, we have nothing to do with the old
Pianotech?  Not likely, but, if so, who does?  As far as anything
going to PTG-L, the question( would be the boundaries of discourse,
even there, and how much representation this list has there.

This list can't just become defined by our reluctance to adapt (no,
I'm not talking about LC*) or about what a terrible person Duaine is.
(Maybe there would be a separate list on the website for that).   The
question is, are the administrators of this list as responsible to
any question raised by Duaine (as a non-PTG'er) as they might be to
me (as soon as I pay my dues)?  Is there less of a sense of
responsibility, as list administrators, to this list than the one on the web?

Clearly, I'll do anything to avoid honest work.

Keep celebrating -
David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY
*(Learning Curve)