[pianotech] mailman list - Foul!

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Wed Jan 4 08:16:18 MST 2012

Ron -
They were implied.  Every one of them
 >:-o =D> 8-) :'( :-[ >:-} <:-| :-! O:-) :-) >:D< :-* :-D :-X etc.
I'm sorry.  One of the oddities is email itself, which, unless you
use italics or bold or underline or font size or style, is rather neutral.
It doesn't do well with irony or sarcasm.  And then there are the
conventions that accumulate as part of a community such as this,
where, for better or worse, we evolve a distinctive, recognizable
voice (or think we do), based upon that history of interactions.  I
acquired some affectations over the years, such as making a
'European' 7  (with short horizontal line through the middle vertical
part of the number).  Now it's a part of me that I recognize.  I've
never been comfortable depending upon emoticons to convey my meaning,
though I admit that, on occasion, it fosters
misinterpretation.  Think of it like reading Hebrew without all the
vowel signs, or figured bass without the numbers.

As I wrote to Duaine, people may have a right, or feel they have a
right to have negative feelings towards him, as the world is more
complex than Disney, but the intent and expression of those feelings
in this venue, in that way, becomes destructive to the venue, most of
all.  As I also wrote to him, at this time, I don't believe that
focusing on a severance of the relationship is the most effective
solution to the underlying issues.  It's an idea to keep in mind, however.

Again, sorry for the adrenaline,

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY