[pianotech] Website Bibliography

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Mon Jan 16 04:13:04 MST 2012

Wow, thanks for all the feedback, folks!

Del, thanks for mentioning Piano Tone Building. I don't have that book,
and I've started the list with books I own (though I stuck The Voice Of
The Piano at the end, which I don't yet have).  But I am certainly
thinking of adding other titles, just to be comprehensive!

RIchard, I don't think I'd heard of that Broadwood book. One I'd like to
get at some point, is the Alistair Laurence book about Five English
Piano Makers.  Plus I haven't mentioned Pierce or the UK equivalent the
Musicians Piano Atlas.  I should maybe also mmention Rick Baldassin's On
Pitch.

Thanks very much for spotting the typos, folks. No matter how many times
I go over text, I always miss something!

Regarding differences between UK and US English, I have to say that I am
rather a fan of USA English. Recently I took (and passed) the Cambridge
University CELTA certificate course for teaching English to speakers of
other languages.  The differences in English across the Atlantic were
mentioned. Sometimes companies arranging English courses want to have
specifically either US or UK English, depending on what their main
business market is.

In Britain (more so in England than in Scotland, perhaps) some people
are snobbish about US English. I utterly reject such attitudes.  I think
both forms are  equally valid and equally elegant, and both have good
bits and clumsy bits.  Divergent from a common path.  I think perhaps
there is a mindset among some, that hasn't quite forgiven the "colonies"
for seceding from the Empire!

I have relatives in CA and have visited the US several times (most
recently for MARC in Bethlehem PA last April/May). I've always been
interested to listen out for differences in the language.  But I had not
realised that you would talk about students IN a course rather than ON a
course. That's very interesting! And perfectly sensible, since one is IN
a class group or cohort (or possibly AMONG a cohort!).

But enough of these linguistical peregrinations for now!

Best regards,

David.