[pianotech] Tuner's Record

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 21 17:46:49 MST 2012

David Said: "I tuned a Victorian birdcage piano today, which I had done
about six
months ago. I had not last time paid attention to the remains of a
label stuck to the overdamper rail, but this time looked closely. I'm
attaching a photo. The date you can see most clearly is 16/1/99. Gentle
readers, this is not 1999, but 1899. One hundred thirteen years and
four days ago today, when this piano was perhaps ten years old, a tuner
got his fountain pen out (was he well-off, to have had a fountain pen?)
and recorded his work.

This piano has gorgeous veneer inside the top lid. I have posted several
pics on my business Facebook page David Boyce Piano Services and on my
Tumblr blog, http://pianopinions.tumblr.com"

Best regards,

David.,
To my eye that looks like Blue Ball Point Pen INK! However, I wish you
guys/gals on the other side of the Pond would quit hogging all the Good
Stuff!<G> 1899 is childs' play. The oldest piano I have tuned, on a
somewhat regular basis, is an 1805 Clementi, (original founder/pre-Collard
& Collard). It was restrung in the 1970's, (rather poorly), and was
mechanically restored by the owner, under my guidance. Doing these are
challenging, to be sure.
Best Regards Backatcha,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.