[pianotech] Willamette Valley Flooding? O.T.

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Sat Jan 21 22:22:44 MST 2012

On the other hand...I now live in an area (Olympia, Washington) that
typically gets -- maybe -- a couple of inches of snow every year. It's
usually gone in a couple of days. When I left for the NAMM show last Tuesday
I had to shovel my way through 18" deep snow to get our car out of the
drive. We live in a heavily wooded area and had branches six to eight inches
in diameter falling on the roof of our house. Nothing broke (other than the
trees) that I know of. After taking me to the airport my wife, Barb couldn't
make it back to the house with the car and had to walk the last quarter of a
mile. By the next morning there was a total of well over 30" of snow on the
ground -- an all-time record from what I hear -- and whole trees were
falling under the weight of the very wet snow. Power failed that night and,
as far as I know, is still not back on. Barb made it out of there on
Thursday with the help of some neighbor kids who helped her dig the car out.
The one bright spot in all this is that our dog, Java, had an absolute ball
playing in all the snow. He's just over a year old and probably doesn't
remember the light snows of last year.

This is why I moved from North Dakota, lo these many years back! (A state, I
might mention, that is regularly colder and buried under more snow than most
of Alaska. Weather wise we considered Alaskans to be a bunch of whiners.)
One of the nice things about rain is the fact that you rarely have to shovel
the stuff. Of course, it has now warmed and the rains have set in so the
lowlands are flooding. Fortunately where we now live is pretty high up so if
there is any danger of flooding around our house we're all going to be out
looking for Noah and his Ark.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA
Phone  360.515.0119 — Cell  360.388.6525
del at fandrichpiano.comddfandrich at gmail.com