[pianotech] Cutting keytops with a table saw

chrisstor at aol.com chrisstor at aol.com
Wed Jan 25 10:16:51 MST 2012

Chuck,

Thanks for the well-thought-out rebuttal.  (B.T.W., I look forward to your PTJournal articles because they're similarly so clear and well-thought-out.)

"I did write about this, Chris. As far as safety issues concerning the
blade, I'm convinced it's the safest method, if done right."

The concerns I expressed about the table saw weren't a criticism, and I hope they weren't taken that way.  Maybe what came through was my own healthy respect (read: fear) of spinning blades on table saws and routers.  Like you yourself said, you're convinced it's the safest method, IF DONE RIGHT.  I'd say the same goes for the router, sander, or the Safe-T-Planer methods.  I myself feel safest around the Safe-T-Planer.

"P.S. This method works for me, but if everyone else in the world likes
using a Safe-T-Planer, a router or 80 grit sandpaper, that's fine. To each
his own."

The conclusion I come to is this:  Router, table saw, sander, Safe-T-Planer - all these methods seem to work for keytop removal and replacement.  Please be careful when using your power tools whichever method you choose!

Best,
Chris S.