[pianotech] Kawai puzzler

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 28 10:15:44 MST 2012

Some detective work for this Saturday morning:
Piano - Kawai NS-20 - tall upright with one of those split lid fold back tops.

Complaint - some damper ringing randomly....  Owner couldn't replicate the problem earlier this month during the regular tuning visit, so I asked if theycould find out what note(s), during what pieces.
Went back today after I was notified only C4 happened sometimes...
So - noticed an old coffee spill leaked between the split top down onto the muffler rail and then farther down... right at C4. Piano w/plenty of plastic parts.
Took out the action, still couldn't make the damper hang...
Reversed it, gently pressing on dampers - C4 felt "different" - harder to push.
Turns out the spring was glued to the damper lever by the spill.  Along with a mess on the spoon.
Cleaned, lubed - everything seems fine, but for the life of me, I can't come up with a reason why a constrained spring would make the damper hang up and ring???
Hmmm..
Ron Kovalchicagoland
www.ronkoval.com