[pianotech] FW: re: Blackening rusty tunning pins

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 31 16:14:52 MST 2012

Well, I'll try this again.<G>

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I

chemicals that might contaminate the pin block, or possibly "creep" into
places where it shouldn't? The pictures don't really show the strings in
relationship of the "rust", which to me looks like deteriorated bluing,
rather than rust itself. I don't see any rust on the strings to begin with
and ditto with the strings after. Or, put another way, does this stuff turn
the strings black too? The picture(s) don't seem to show that. BTW, bluing
is simply a form of controlled rust, fyi. <G>