[pianotech] elbows

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Nov 23 19:01:22 MST 2012

I also usually do this job with action in the piano, especially if there are
no clicks as you say, Laura. But I make it a 2 trip job. I snap off all the
elbows and gather the stickers to take into the shop. I have slave labor, my
younger children, finish cleaning the plastic off the sticker wires and
putting the new elbows on. But there is one more step I like to do. These
usually have wooden buttons for adjusting lost motion with green felt glued
on the sides around the bottom. I find that this felt swells over the years
and tends to cause binding, especially when you adjust it out of a position
that it has held for 50 years. So I twirl them against the disc sander to
remove about half of that green felt on the sides of the button. This leaves
plenty of felt to keep them quiet but eliminates all binding.

Second trip back I just snap stickers and elbows into place, adjust lost
motion, done.

Dean

Dean W May                (812) 235-5272 voice and text

PianoRebuilders.com    (888) DEAN-MAY

Terre Haute IN 47802

  _____