[pianotech] Sandy's impact on our business

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sun Nov 25 18:39:28 MST 2012

I think that the people writing that article are guilty of some sloppy
thinking. Part of
the trouble stems from how "GDP" is counted. Anything that gets paid for
is considered to
be part of the Gross Domestic Product. That doesn't mean that everything
counted is equally
of value. The lost airplane flights and restaurant meals were just
consumption, non-productive.

If destruction were all that was needed to "stimulate the economy", then
all we have to do
is get people out of harm's way and send the Air Force to bomb our
cities to the ground. We'd
all be rich for years ...

This "we'll all be rich from rebuilding" is an example of something
called the "Broken
Window Fallacy." All the money that workmen and emergency crews and home
supply stores are
earning HAS COME FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE. It comes from insurance companies
who will have to
raise their premiums so we all pay more for insurance. It might well put
some of them out
of business. If such storms are more and more frequent, insurance will
be difficult to find
at all, let alone afford.

If it is paid for by government emergency funds, then it gets added to
our deficit. That
deficit will make us pay more in interest to keep it rolling along, and
if we have other
needs (like food inspection, education, the NIH, the court system, food
stamps for the unemployed,
and roads and bridges) they will have to go short or be postponed.

If the cost of rebuilding is borne by the people whose houses were
destroyed, then the
money will come from their savings. This money (if they were in the
black) will not be
available for investing in industry or businesses. They will not have
the income from
this money to spend on other things. If they were in debt already, this
could bring a lot
of them into bankruptcy. Then their creditors lose.

The money for rebuilding has to come from somewhere, and the only kind
of rebuilding
which makes sense is "hardened" against future storms. There could be
some efficiency gained
by intelligent rebuilding, but it will all have to be paid for.

Money spent on wallboard, wiring, and plumbing is unlikely to be spent
on piano tuning --
even if they still have a working piano.

A lot of the damage, especially to vulnerable low-lying areas in New
Jersey, will
probably never be rebuilt to what it was before the storm. The people
who lost their
homes will of course be looking for other homes to buy or rental
accommodations. It
will keep realtors busy. But for those who lost homes, their net worth
will be less
than before, not more, even if they were covered by insurance. Many
weren't. And
city budgets will be strained to the breaking point even if they get
federal aid.

Just my opinion, and I'm extremely glad that it wasn't my area which was
ruined.
Oregon may have a severe earthquake just off the coast (we're overdue
for a big one),
and there might be a Japan-style tsunami from it. Even if the water is
unlikely
to reach as far inland as I live, coastal towns and parts of Portland
could be
devastated. If the middle of the country continues to have terrible
droughts,
tornadoes, and floods, the Gulf continues to have hurricanes, and now
the East
Coast is vulnerable more and more often -- well, we have to adjust as
well as
we can, but we all will be poorer, not richer.

Susan