[pianotech] 1700 Broadwood Upright

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 29 19:52:08 MST 2012

I can state that is NOT a 1700 piano! I woud date it around 1860ish. And,
that would be giving it a few more years than I think it is. It,
undoubtedly has a French Style action, (which is a disaster) and is flat
strung. A composite plate, where part of the bracing is hidden in the back
posts. I've run into a few of those in the 70's and 80's when every antique
dealer in the U.S. was carting them things from England and such. Only good
for a possible piano transplant, (back assembly w/action<G>) or holding up
pictures.
I'd have to check some text books, but I think the first uprights were made
around 1820 or so. I hope someone can prove me incorrect on that one.<G>
That's my take on that.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police