[pianotech] who pays--A perspective On Steinway marketing

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Oct 21 11:58:38 MDT 2012

With some working design changes and uniform production and assembly
jigging and procedures, there's no reason other than their attitude that
Steinway couldn't make a DEPENDABLY first rate piano. I've said the same
of Baldwin.

Ron N

 Bingo!!!
 Yes, Ron but then many of us would not have made the incredible amounts of money enhancing the better attributes                       ( repairing the design flaws) of the piano, which make the piano so unique. (inconsistent).  So I hope they don't discover    jigs  and fixtures. Cynicism implied
 They have provided us with a very special opportunity to develop our own research and design capabilities & in all sincerity...I am grateful for this.  I openly acknowledge that I trade on their name.  I get my best basic raw materials from them. I can't make a rim and a plate & I don't want to. Its kind of the same relationship one has with a not so friendly step parent. You      dislike their behavior toward you and you dislike them but, they feed you anyway. Ok I know some will take issue with this    but hey its an analogy.
 On the other hand, under the reality of true confessions.... I am in awe of the longevity , history and success of the Steinway dynasty. That one company dominates and drives the entire industry is a two edged sword, both good and bad. I hear some    teeth grinding out there.
 SO, I'm a poor conflicted Stepchild. Its my story & I am sticking to it.
They are  also not the only company with issues. SO thats not news. Thats life.
 The fact that each N.Y Steinway can be so different is, or can be, desirable, especially for our shop who makes a living           beefing up and enhancing the basic "Steinway sound " the design offers and repairing the myriad of action ratio issues that  have come along thru  subsequent iterations and generations of production.  I like the overall piano. I mean that;... even with   all  its perceived warts and flaws &  thats just one mans opinion. But, I like it better when the warts and flaws are minimized,or removed(as I do on any piano) and basic tone production/voice is enhanced with the intentional design efforts that my      ears like.
Now to be honest Steinway corp or Baldwin, Mason, whomever etc aren't the only ones that have been on a learning curve.      They've had the failures of teflon bushings and verdigris, compression ridges and Soundboards that were DOA.  & FWIW I   am working over a 1904 A-2. It has original non vertigris action parts. The original set of Weickert felt hammers is worn out  and the tone is still decent. The amazing thing is that all the center pins are firm and appropriately tight. So they once were  able to do this well.
 So in fairness....on the  way thru my own learning curve I've made blunders too and as I was able to,  I'd go back and undo     some of those things done in ignorance to previous rebuilds. For example....I have taken off many sets of hammers from a        variety of makers when unhappy with the  results and installed ones that were a better choice. I've scraped one of my  own   newly installed  9 ft soundboard I didn't like the sound off (That was expensive) I've Changed direction and opinions on       many things in the attempt to develop and  execute protocols to produce a more predictable outcome.
 So all that to say that though I express some cynicism at times  like many of you,....  and  though I resent the unfriendly           Marketing attitude towards the technical community at large. They can choose to do that to insure their market share.        And I can choose what marketing verbiage I wish as well.
  So in Fairness....I do not hold Steinway to a  higher standard than one I hold for myself but         expect that the quote.... "World's finest piano"  would demonstrate the same commitment to          excellence and honesty that we and so many of you do.
What do you think?
 Fair enough?
Dale

Dale Erwin R.P.T.