[pianotech] Bridge agraffes FYI

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Oct 25 13:22:05 MDT 2012

Attached are two photos of a Sohmer Grand bridge with bridge agraffes.  Very
interesting in that the string bears on the top of the aggraffe hole, not on
the bottom as one might expect.  In order to maintain positive downbearing
on the bridge, the bridge has a raised shelf behind the aggraffe such that
the string runs uphill to the bridge from the hitch pin area before running
downhill to the aggraffe from the short span off the front of the shelf.
The slope of the string then rises as you move toward the tuning pin
termination side.  Sadly, I did not have my bubble gauge to try and
determine the net bearing and it's definitely got me reaching for the fish
oil capsules thinking about whether a measurement of the relationship
between the hitch segment and the front segment would reveal the net bearing
anyway.  The piano sounded like caca, btw, but there were other issues.  In
spite of that, the tone was surprisingly focused.

David Love