[pianotech] Bridge agraffes FYI

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Fri Oct 26 10:46:11 MDT 2012

Will,

Yes I was at Larry's but was focused on other things...I have a call in
to him.

But my question was a basic phsyics question, not an applied physics
question.  The "what I thought of the "xyz" piano" is premature .

Let me state my wonder from an different angle. The traditional belly
systems we are familiar with empirically function within what we assume
to be an apparent overall system wide impedance level. The impedance
being determined by rib beam strength, panel compression, bearing and
its associated string tension, hammer velocity/mass/density, etc. We
also find emprically, in the traditional bridge pin termination system
that there are impedance levels below which the board, as Ron O,
mentioned...does not function musically.

In assigning impedance levels to various belly structures there is an
implicit assumption, that assumption being that the relative efficiency
of the pin termination, since its the only model we use in our empirical
exercises, is not part of the impedance equation, or rather factored out
because it is a constant. Its considered to be a "constant" because its
the only model we use. So, my wondering was, if you take this "constant"
in insert it into our impedance equation as a "variable", by using a
different bridge termination system with efficiencies different than the
pin termination, what effect does that have on the system wide impedance?

How much of the impedance equation is actually accounting for force
needed to make sure the bridge pin termination functions at adequate
efficiency?

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio