[pianotech] Pitch Raising

Richard W. Bushey rbushey4 at embarqmail.com
Wed Oct 31 21:33:46 MDT 2012

Terry,

If your confusion is regarding programming the SAT, I was a little confused
at first as well when I saw the chart as to how to input the info. into the
SAT (I have SAT III).

The instructions for inputing a tuning manually got me going but I wasn't
sure what the SAT column meant. It is in fact referring to the Partial Note
the SAT is tuning the piano note to.

I'm not here to insult anyone's intelligence as there are far brighter minds
on this forum than I, however, if it helps someone, then great.

I had the PTG Journal DVD and searched Dec. 1999 for the article
"Electronically Enhanced Tuning" by Joe Garrett to get the list of offsets
for his pitch raising method.

The procedure is as follows, for those interested (or was confused as I
was):

1) Turn SAT on.
2) Press Tune button.
3) Pick a page that you want to store Joe's, or other, pitch raise tuning
on.  I use page one for my temporary use that I can rewrite over daily when
needed for tunings I don't need to save permantly.  I placed Joe's pitch
raise tuning on page two.

Now the fun begins. Took me about 1/2 hr. or so to input all the numbers
manually.

4) Select the Piano Note and Octave you want to program (We'll start at A0),
just like you would do if you were getting ready to tune the note.

NOTE: Take a minute and get very familiar with these two buttons and what
they show. If you press the Mem button only, you will see the Piano
Note/Octave on the left screen and the Page Number on the right screen. When
going through this process, any time you see the page number in the right
screen, you are seeing the Piano Note and if you make changes to the
Note/Octave...you are actually changing which Piano Note/Octave you are
programing.  If you press just the Tune button, it will show the Partial
Note/Octave on the left screen (this is the middle column on Joe's list)
that the SAT is tuning the Piano Note to (your A0 in this case), and on the
right screen will be the offset number that you will change to match Joe's
list.  It can get confusing if you're not careful because the partial notes
and piano notes look the same.....but the indicator of which is which is
what you see in the right hand screen.

5) Press the Tune button to show the Partial Note/Octave and Offset numbers
(for A0 you should see E3 and some offset number that you will be changing.
Go ahead and change the Offset number to match the one on the list (for A0,
the partial is E3 and the offset is -35.0). For some of the notes, the
partials will be already be correct from whatever tuning was previously
stored in that location and you won't have to change it, but be sure to
check to see that it is in fact correct. If it's not, change the note or
octave to match the one in the center column on Joe's list (E3 and -35.0).

6) Up to this point you have really done only 3 things: selected a note
(A0), pressed Tune button to show Partial (E3) and Offset (ex: -10.5),
changed Partial (E3) and Offset (changed to -35.0) to match the list.  Now,
SAVE your work by holding the Shift and pressing the Mem button.

7) To check your work, press Mem to view current Piano Note, and page
number.  Press Tune to view the Partial (SAT note, center column of list)
and the Offset number.  If correct, proceed to next note. If something is
incorrect, change it, save it, and recheck it before going on.

8) When all looks good, press the note up button to select next note and
repeat steps 4-8 for all 88 keys.

9) When finished saving the 88th note, you're finished and can shut your SAT
off, move to a different page, or go try a pitch raise!

That's about it.  It looks real tedious, but once you get the hang of what
does what, it will go much quicker.

I'm looking forward to trying this procedure out sometime and see how it
goes.

Thanks Joe!

Richard W. Bushey
Richard's Piano Service