[pianotech] Re. Baldwin hammers

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Sep 11 06:13:09 MDT 2012

On 9/10/2012 2:49 PM, Terry Farrell wrote:

> but for clamping, I simply squeeze
> between thumb and index finger for the 20 seconds or so.

And you've actually suggested that some of the rest of us are bionic? I
haven't spent a lot of time gluing exploding hammers back together, but
I haven't come across many I remember being able to do this with. Which
brings up the question: If the felt of a hammer is that easy to squeeze
back into place, what pulled it apart in the first place? AT'sa pretty
lousy glue joint! Then there's the hammer to shank joint. Maybe that
explains the attached PDF too, when I had a run of loose ribs in new
Baldwins. We have a possible trend...

 From a practical standpoint, manufacturing QC has *GOT* to be a
nightmare on all levels, and I doubt few if anyone noticed anything at
the time indicating this stuff would be a future problem.

Ron N