[pianotech] First Pinblock

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 06:26:09 MST 2013

Noah - These are excellent ideas you're getting from both Thumpe and Mike.
In regards to fitting the pinblock to the plate, Mike said: "Most likely
the new pinblock will need to be fitted to the plate flange.  Do this
exactly as you would for a grand piano; i.e. jigsaw as close as you can to
original pinblock shape, refine with chalk transfer from plate flange,
finish with epoxy (West with colloidal silica filler, not the stringy
yellow goop in your photos)."

Here's an article from June 2009 (Simple Grand Pinblock Replacement,
part 3<http://www.pianopromoproductions.com/resources/19.%20Sept.%2C%202009%20Small%20Shop.pdf>)
that might help if you haven't read it recently. It's concerning a grand
pinblock installation, but the principle are the same (if there is a flange
to be fitted to).

As far as choice of pinblock material, I agree that Delignit or Falconwood
would be especially rigid - I've used them both over the years. I wouldn't
rule, however, a standard hardrock maple block as available from Schaff.
It's easy to work with as far as grinding down the edge for fitting with
the plate, drills nicely and holds the pins tightly. It's the pinblock
material featured in the article. For as small of a piano as you're dealing
with, I think it would be plenty rigid, especially if you consider using
the ideas Thumpe gave you regarding the angle steel across the top of the
block. You'll end up with a piano built like the proverbial brick
shit-house!   Chuck