[pianotech] First Pinbock

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 10:39:22 MST 2013

Terry, thanks for all the useful information. But "a ton" of steel I wasn't suggesting (maybe just 20 pounds) as a means to help keep the rather flimsy-looking, open-faced block little thing from twisting during tuning, or pulling itself apart again. (The piano I'm doing this to is a huge, spectacular, beautifully-built Ivers and Pond. But one that had a noticeable bow along the top back. What could it hurt???) But if a more "traditional" look was wanted that would also help preclude twisting under tension, I'd recommend sawing out a flat panel of really strong laminated wood (marine plywood of a hefty thickness? recommendations, Mr. Boat Man???) in such a fashion so as to make a "back cover" for the piano that mirrors the posts and beams (leaving open spaces between the posts). Securely glued and screwed. (And I'd make it at least an inch thick.)

Thumpe