[pianotech] First Pinbock

Noah Frere noahfrere at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 19:17:39 MST 2013

Okay, I've got the plate removed, and the pinblock too now. Turns out there
is a plate flange. So I think we've got a plan: 1) strengthen the heck out
of the case. 2) Replace the pinblock. Easy ;)
I've cleaned up most of the epoxy goop that some jerk put in there (gosh i
wonder who THAT was?). BTW the eopxy was West Systems, but I guess I didn't
use any filler. I'll order some High Density or Colloidal filler for the
fitting. The pinblock measures just under 38"x 8" and is 1.5" thick. I'd
like to use the most eco-friendly wood possible while still holding up
under the tension for a few decades. Any suggestions? Wouldn't it be great
to reclaim some used hardwood? Somebody should do that. I don't know if
that's possible though given the integrity needed for the pinblock. When I
replace a soundboard someday I'd like to try the green SB that the
Canadians were supposedly experimenting with a couple/few years ago.
However, when I asked them about it a few months ago I got no response.
If anyone wants to send me a pinblock from reclaimed hardwood and can
guarantee it's integrity, for a reasonable price, I would be willing to pay
higher than what Delignit or Schaff, etc. goes for.
This is to be an eco-friendly piano, after all. The felt will come from
either recycled or upcycled materials as much as possible. Et cetera,[image:
Inline image 1]
The gaps at the top of the piano were filled with square blocks. However,
they were glued to the top of the piano, and the only way to remove the top
was to bust it out, which took the 2 blocks you see missing here out. I
will of course fill in these gaps. I kind of like the idea of creating a
new back from strong beech plywood or something with holes cut out for the
handles and soundboard. However, as far as filling in these gaps first:
Terry said: " However, I'd fill the gaps with chunks of good strong
hardwood. Hard maple is fine, but there are also a slew of ring-porous
hardwoods that are very epoxy-bonding-friendly - white ash, red oak, etc.
 I would remove the 3/4" (or so) hardwood (I presume) strip on the very
back top of the piano, cut hardwood blocks to fill the gaps between the
posts, drill holes (1" or so) in the ends of the blocks (two or three) and
install hardwood dowels in the block end holes (1" red oak are commonly
available and great for this application), then I'd drill/chisel/
poke/beat/chop/rout out holes in the side/rear of the post such that you
can install the filler blocks, with the dowels sticking out the sides,
between the posts from the rear." I am afraid I have read this may times
and still don't get it. Terry, would it be possible to explain this another
way? or draw a picture? or perhaps over the phone...