ETD's

David's Email ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:45:33 -0800

Jim,

Al went from one reading to three readings and I would imagine he will =
up his SAT IV to compete against the multiple partial machines if and =
when he does that.  $ to be made on upgrading....;-]

There was a time when the more toys the better but I'm simplifying my =
career.  Almost strictly field work so I pack it in.  My arms are long =
enough.  No, I don't want to pull along something on wheels.  University =
work would probably necessitate carrying everything you might need from =
one room to the next...?  I can go out to my car when I need =
something...

David I.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jim Busby=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 11:38 AM
  Subject: RE: ETD's

  David,

  =20

              On the second tuning, after it had all the partials =
recorded, the Verituner did nearly what the DOB function does on the SAT =
III by expanding the double octave, and over the break it really made =
the tuning smoother. With the SAT, I nearly always disagree with a =
"stock" tuning but, I need to add, Al Sanderson is emphatic about the =
need to use your aural skills and use the SAT as a tool, not the end =
thereof. That is one of the reasons he added the DOB function. Also, the =
6:3 octaves in the bass sometimes bother me on larger scales so I tune =
8:4 and sometimes 12:6 on the very bottom. Dr. Sanderson says he used a =
certain university's piano faculty (Harvard??) as a basis for those =
octaves, so it was a subjective decision.

              Dr. Sanderson wrote a very energetic article defending his =
FAC numbers and discounting the "multiple partial" method of other ETDs =
as unnecessary. No doubt he is a whiz and his product is great, but I =
still like the bells and whistles on the Verituner and RCT.=20

              One of the introductions of Al Sanderson at a convention =
went something like this "Al Sanderson has single handedly raised the =
level of tunings in the world."  He is a wonderful technician with a =
great product so I'm not getting rid of my SAT in the near future!

              Hope that answers your question.

  =20

  Jim Busby RPT

  BYU