Pinning and Tone

David's Email ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:24:17 -0700

MessageWith a handle

David I.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Isaac sur Noos=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 12:56 AM
  Subject: RE: Pinning and Tone

  Don Mannino, hello,

  I noticed that Kaway with their ABS flange tend to take too much play =
in the pinning indeed. As I understand it, because when the bushing =
grows, the part can't swell because of the material, and when getting =
dry after, some play is installed.

  I came to a few pianos where the birseye itself have developped =
ovalisation with time (1978 models).
  So, while I like a lot the grand jack, I am far from convinced with =
the other parts, for instance noise and extra friction on RX... grand =
whippen lever, kind of feeling the weight and texture of the damper =
lever in RX series.

  ABS does not give as tone, only thump. And I regret this, because I =
appreciate your grands, after having installed in them firm Yamaha front =
punchings (discard those cotton style punchings !) and regulate them so =
the touch is more light, they tone very well generally (I mean for the =
soundboard/strings/hammers parts)

  By the way are the broaches you sell to be used without a handle ?.

  Best Regards.

  Isaac OLEG

  Entretien et r=E9paration de pianos.

  PianoTech