FW: [CAUT] Re: Leads, Magnets, Springs, etc.

Mark Dierauf pianotech@nhpianos.com
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:30:58 -0500

  I have installed two of these sets of Miracle-Wips, one in my own
piano and one for a customer. On my own B, they provided a better
touch-weight than the Renner wips (even with the springs disengaged),
and I was able to remove some lead and easily regulate the springs to
achieve an extremely even touch. Now for the bad news - over time, many
of the centers have experienced a sudden increase in friction. This
seems to be particularly the case with the jack springs, where I
measured the friction at between 20 and 40 grams! Another rebuilder I
know had the same problem (and was sued over it). My shop partner has
also had similar problems with at least one set that he installed.
Repinning seems to be a permanent cure for this malady. The other set
that I installed has not had any pinning issues so far (about 18
months), but my piano just had two more jacks seize in the last couple
of days (the first in more than a year). I would say that I've repined
about 25% of them so far.

  The other problem is with friction in the repetition spring slots.
After a while, you'll get a little "tick, tick" sound as the spring
slides in the slot. This seems to come with use, and has been a problem
on both of the sets that I installed. At Bob Maranelli's suggestion, I
applied McLube to the slots, but the problem returned in both cases.
I've since tied protek, but too recently to predict the long term
success.

  I also just repined a complete set of Tokiwa shanks that had virtually
seized. Touch-weight was well into the 80's! My advice is to stay away
from these parts, unless they are going into a piano that is serviced
constantly so you can keep an eye on them.

-        Mark Dierauf
-        St Pauls School
-        Concord, NH