[CAUT] Capstan Repositioning

Craig_Waldrop Craig_Waldrop at baylor.edu
Tue May 2 10:38:31 MDT 2006

Hello Ken,

I have done this before and did just use plugs, rather than doweling (wrong
grain orientation).  My method was to drill out the original hole to
accommodate the closest size of plug cutter (1/8² ?) that I had.  That way
you can use spruce or whatever wood the keys are made of.  That seems less
invasive to me than cutting a large chunk out of the key.  The main problems
are locating the proper material and getting the perfect size of plug
cutter.

Whatever method you choose, I¹m sure it will work fine if applied
judiciously.  Have you considered that the movement away from the balance
rail will increase your touch weight?  Good luck with your project and let
us know how it turns out.

All the best,

Craig Waldrop
Baylor School of Music