[CAUT] Black on Black... (Jack alignment)

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Aug 8 06:49:51 MDT 2007

Hi All

I just read the Central West Regional News and Trevor Nelson had some very
positive things to say about the sharing of ideas we all input to fellow
guild members.  I am proud to be in an organization which doesn't
selfishly hold on to "secrets" to appear better than another tech.  As he
states, "It's easy to forget that in most other parts of the world, such a
fertile exchange of ideas doesn't take place, because our profession is
extremely tradition-bound; or, piano technicians are reticent to share
their work "secrets" with each other... Think of how long it would take
one technician to come up with a better tool or technique, compared to two
or four.  How about four hundred? or four thousand?"

This subject is facinating to me as I use the "align my eyeball with the
plane of the jack/knuckle, but as Fred states, to have your "eyeball
sighting" not perfectly lined up the same way every time can indeed skew
the result.  The hammers under the pinblock method is tempting and I might
try it and then double check with my eyeball method to see just how much
variance of consistancy shows up.  What we all want in the end is a
consistant feel for the pianist.  It is he/she that we all really work
for.

Best,

Paul T Williams
UNL

Tim Coates <tcoates1 at sio.midco.net>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
08/07/2007 10:48 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Black on Black... (Jack alignment)

Fred,

I think if you re-read Michael Wathen's comments he attributes this method
to "Garlick".  For those who are too young to remember, that would be Bill
Garlick.    A person who used to be a very valuable member of the PTG.

For me, you are wrong about the rapid flick motion.  But you can do that
if you want.  You know what works best for you.  It's nice to have a good
exchange of ideas without one person judging and insisting they have the
only correct answer.

Tim Coates