[CAUT] Backfire!!

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Oct 12 06:53:38 MDT 2007

David,

I am in Lincoln, NE and the nearest rebuilder is southeast of KC...about
3.5 hours!  Richard West took care of this piano for many many years and
he and I talk quite a bit.  He says the board and bridges should be
replaced, but the head of the piano dept told me "don't put any money into
it and sell it!"  Since it isn't a soloist instrument and only used by
orchestras, choirs, etc., I may settle somewhere in the middle and replace
the action and restring it.  I think I will use Wurzen hammers and Arledge
bass strings and at least get it somewhat respected until we can replace
it someday.  I doubt very much that the director would approve much more
than that. I can guarantee he won't approve a total rebuild.  I'm hoping
this will light a fire under his seat to increase efforts to get funding
for a new concert instrument.  I'm not a big Baldwin fan and have only
come across a couple I would like to have...Some folks really love
Baldwins, but unfortunately, non of the piano faculty or grad students do.

We'll see what transpires....

Thanks

Paul

"David Ilvedson" <ilvey at sbcglobal.net>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
10/10/2007 06:07 PM
Please respond to
ilvey at sbcglobal.net; Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

caut at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Backfire!!

Paul,
Have the Baldwin soundboard etc. checked out by the local rebuilder
wizard.   Who would that be in your area?   Maybe you?  Where are you
located?  Even if it needs a new soundboard and you can't get the money
together for that, a complete action rebuild will certainly bring it up to
a good rehearsal instrument.   Keeping the D locked up except for concerts
can't be bad...Down the road, when funds become available...rebuild the
piano...a first class rebuild will turn that into a rival for the D, but
the D will still get used more...;-]
Man, I wish I had your problems..David Ilvedson, RPTPacifica, CA 94044
Original messageFrom: "Paul T Williams"  To: caut at ptg.orgReceived:
10/10/2007 6:41:18 AMSubject: [CAUT] Backfire!!
Hi List, Have you ever had one of those days??? In our main concert hall
we have a Steinway D and a 1950's Baldwin D.  The Baldwin belongs to the
Lied Center for Performing Arts.  They are, but aren't part of the
university. This piano has been on "permanent loan" to the university for
many years...  Anywho, I commented to the Music Director that the Baldwin
is in dire need of major work (all original, I think except for stringing)
.I asked him to have the manager of the Lied center to consider investing
in it. It needs EVERYTHING!  The manager turns around and gives it to us!
He has no budget and doesn't want it back.  We really don't want it and
the director is trying to find funds for a new Steinway (NY or Hamburg).
Nobody likes this piano and faculty pout if they're "forced" to play it.
It's used a lot, but for non-university events held in our hall, so
pulling it out of service for major work would be tricky Questions: 1.
Does this piano have potential to be a great instrument? 2.  Is it worth
putting thousands of dollars into it? or-  might it be wiser to replace
action, restring, etc. just minimal work until funding magically arrives
for a new Steinway? 3.  Has anyone else fallen into such a thing? Thanks!
Paul T. Williams RPT