Black Finish

Wed, 19 Jun 2002 22:15:57 -0400

Hi Dale -

Thanks for the post.  Sorry to hear of your problems with finishers!  One
has to wonder - does the fact that the contract has YOUR name on it, and
not the finisher's, have any bearing on his/her level of attention to
detail?  Food for thought.  But, of course, the same lack of attention to
detail can be seen in other areas of piano work, too.  Some people's
version of 'detail' is pretty broad, I guess :-)

And I couldn't agree with you more when you say that we can all learn
from the methods of others.  The variation in approach is astounding.

Here's to better rubbing...

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:12:25 EDT Erwinspiano@AOL.COM writes:
In a message dated 6/19/2002 4:29:17 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bases-loaded@juno.com writes:

Subj:Re: Black Finish
Date:6/19/2002 4:29:17 PM Pacific Standard Time
From:bases-loaded@juno.com
Reply-to:pianotech@ptg.org
To:pianotech@ptg.org
Sent from the Internet

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:41:22 -0400 Jon Page <jonpage@attbi.com> writes:

> It is by using these procedures that superior finishes are attained.
> You can not dissuade me.
>
> I can look at a finish from a multitude of 'professional' piano
> refinishers and point out the lack of
> attention to detail. It's not that they don't try, it's just that
> they don't know the best way and don't
> want to learn because they already know it all.

Jon -
  Mark writes
Jeez, I think mountains are being made out of molehills, here.  If there
is one obvious conclusion from following this list and a refinishers
forum over the years, it is that there are a multitude of ways to 'skin
the cat', almost ANY cat.  And many 'professional' results are had by
many differing methods.  It never ceases to amaze me.  There are so many
variables.... shop size, work load, material being used, personal
preferences, the list goes on.  And yes, I agree that all refinishing
work done does not qualify as 'expert', but I would also contend that
there are more than a few that do excellent work, using methods of work
that would differ from mine or yours.

     Hi Mark

      IMO, only an entry level of common sense is required to ensure
adequate finish material is being provided for all edges.  It is a craft,
yes, but it is not rocket science.

focused on observations and techniques to ensure uniformity of results
but JEEZ Ya know I've employed three finishers in the last 5 years and
ALL of them ,and some quite talented, took more time than I thought
appropriate to remeber to get enough material on the edges (especially
the long hinged edges)and also to not rub through them as well. Very
frustrating

             And not rubbing through edges is during rub out is certainly
at least as much the

responsibility of the 'rubbee' as it is dependent on the amount of
material applied, although it is painfully obvious that there must be
adequate material there to begin with.

loaded ugghh.
    Perhaps the biggest mistake with edges, in fact, lies in neglecting
to slightly

round any sharp edges.  As you are well aware, very little material,
using any method, cannot be built up on a sharp edge.

A good system for doing ANY job is a plus.  But to imply that there is
only ONE system that works, well....

You cannot dissuade me.

refined and effiecent than my own(or others)
  >>Dale Erwin>>>>>>>.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com