Judge-and-jury-Results

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 22:13:34 EST

In a message dated 3/15/03 2:22:04 AM !!!First Boot!!!, pryan2@the-beach.net
writes:

> Went to tune the piano in question, found it to be a 3 or 4 year old
> D.H.Baldwin 5' (or less) grand in good condition.  The temperament was not
> problem, but the unisons were extremely out-almost every third note.  They
> were very noticeable.  The school told me the tuner tuned it in one-half an
> hour the first time and when called back to correct it, angrily spend 20
> minutes on it.  Can a piano be tuned in one-half an hour? (Not by me)  They
> were more interested in getting the piano sounding good again than
> punishing
> the previous tuner, so we skipped the pointing of fingers.   I tuned the
> piano as best I could, made appointments to tune their other pianos  and
> hopefully gained a permanent customer.
>
> Phil Ryan

Phil

Yes, a piano can be tuned in a half an hour. I do it all the time. I think
the problem is the return call. If I am called back within a week or so,
because the customer had a complaint about the tuning, I do so with a
positive attitude, not begrudgingly. I know I'm not perfect, and do sometimes
get in a hurry and miss a note. It sounds like this time, the previous tuner
strip muted the piano, and forgot to tune the third string.

Wim