Bridge dimensions

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 07:56:37 -0800

The undercutting was to move the bridge /soundboard contact point away =
from the belly rail while maintaining the proper speaking length for =
notes in the high treble. There is not much flex in the board straight =
down from the front of the bridge in the last octave
Keith Roberts
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Love=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2003 8:34 PM
  Subject: RE: Bridge dimensions

  Perhaps it was a misinterpretation of your previous post on the =
subject, but I though you said that part of the reason for undercutting =
the bridge was to allow that part of the sound board to be able to move =
freely up and down.  That prompted my question as it seemed that freedom =
to move up and down and stiffness, i.e. high impedance, were at odds.  I =
think you've answered that question, but if the board is going to move =
anyway, why bother to undercut the bridge other than to move it away =
from the bellyrail?  Is it assumed that on a piano with a more severely =
undercut bridge, it should have a more substantial rib configuration to =
balance it and vice versa?  And given the choice between more mass in =
the bridge or more substance in the rib configuration, what would you =
choose?  Am I right in assuming that the more minimal undercutting in a =
Steinway bridge is because the rib configuration is more skimpy? ! If =
so, then would undercutting the bridge further on a Steinway create more =
problems and a weaker treble if the rib pattern and height remained the =
same?

  David Love
  davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

    ----- Original Message -----=20