Aaargh!!...aka customer relations

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:06:28 -0400

Dave,

I'm not sure what I'd do, but a likely beginning point would be to say
that before I come to the house again I need to talk to the teacher.
Then ask the teacher in which way did she felt the tuning was not done
right.  What comes next depends on how the conversation goes.

I don't have much faith in a piano teacher's assessment just because
s/he is a piano teacher.  Some of them really know pianos (especially if
they are also piano techs!), and others haven't a clue.  If you would
tell the teacher that you would like to meet with her at the piano so
she could show exactly what the problem is, you might find some fairly
fast backpedaling.  Then again, maybe not.

On another related subject, I am curious why you would not charge a new
customer for a pitch raise.  Not only is that unfair to yourself for the
amount of time you spent on the piano, but it also gives the customer no
incentive to take better care of his instrument.  I might do things this
way as an act of mercy if I feel so inclined, but in general the
customer pays for all the work I do.  If I spent two hours on a piano,
my charge would be about double the normal tuning charge.

I do not go back to customers who don't show a reasonable degree of
respect, but I rarely run into them anyway.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT