Make a soundboard

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:21:55 EDT

     Ric
   Now you're talking my language. My frustration has been that I try to post
procedure and experience which always seems to degrade somehow into theory. I
think more are probably interested in the doing.
  Yes by all means take measurements ,observations,ruminations ,imaginantion.
 Lets talk shop man! This is what teaches.
   By the way I took a whole series of pics. yesterday of my board thinning
jig & a board for a Conover model 77 being thinnned before, during & after with
pics of the jig. Glenn it's your fault. You asked.
  Ric how's the best way to post them again.
   Also the list idea of thing to check measure & observe. I'll post what I
look at & record. Others can add to it or make comments. Why questions are
always great.
  Dale
Dales post yesterday got me to thinking. This "make a soundboard"
(conceptually) from observations one can take looking over a piano and
reporting to the list. Seems like this could be an excellent basis for
increasing awareness and familiarity with soundboard design for those of
us who are interested and are not situated such that they are able to
physically go through the process of building one. And who knows... it
might stimulate more to altering their situation so that they can do
that one day.

In order to do this, we should perhaps start with a list of things to
check and measure. Several of us could then start off with really the
first grand that comes along... measure things, jot down all the
appropriate observations, make a subjective assessment of the pianos
tone and report back for discussion as what kind of sound one should
expect from the panel.

No doubt one would need to attempt to << hear through >> other
influences on sound, but I would think the basic idea is very doable.

I would gladly volunteer to take any set of measurements on a piano, and
even record a bit of sound to make available on my web site. Just agree
on a list of things to measure.

Cheers
RicB