balance rail holes

William R. Monroe A440WRMPiano@tm.net
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:22:28 -0600

------=_NextPart_001_0028_01C4D96D.6DB3F770
Terry,

Have you tried a flush trim bit in the router table - very quick and =
precise.  I use the Onesti system, but the final trimming process is, of =
course, the same.  Nice work.

William R. Monroe
Madison, WI
Assoc.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 5:09 PM
  Subject: Re: balance rail holes

  Thanks John. Photoshop can make anything look good! (Just kidding - no =
touchup.)

  I think I used basswood on these. I didn't do the whole set - just the =
ones that needed it - maybe a dozen or two. I figured basswood would =
more similar to the other keys (spruce?). Some folks use maple, but =
maybe some worry about clicks - I think the Spurlock info discusses =
that.

  Yes, I used a router for the slot. Just cut the basswood pieces with a =
tad of an overhang and chisel off the edge - believe it or not, I think =
the photo shows the only one that I chiseled out a little bit extra from =
the key..... (and if you believe that, I've got some real nice real =
estate for you called Everglades Paradise!).

  I followed the Spurlock article exactly (or as closely as my talents =
allowed). Below are a couple pictures of the tool that I made, per =
Spurlock. You can see the two locator dimples on the key bottom in the =
other photo.

  Terry Farrell

    Nice looking job, Terry.
    What type of wood did you use?
    Did you route out the slot for the insert?
    Any pointers to follow, other than the Bill Spurlock article?
    Thank you.
    John M. Ross
    Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
    jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca