endorsed by the Philadelphia Orchestra????

Sat, 04 Dec 2004 06:43:44 -0600

At 17:55 12/3/2004, you wrote:
>Tom,
>
>I don't know the history, but I've seen that before.  Sort of makes a
>person smile while imagining a Lester spinet on stage, sitting in front of
>an orchestra with someone trying to bang out some big concerto.
>
>How often have I discussed piano size/sound quality with customers and
>thrown in something like, "You know, there's a reason you don't see spinet
>pianos on the concert stage."   :-)
>
>It would be interesting to know how that all came about.
>
>Barbara Richmond

Ahem...

'Tis a wonder what money will do.  Lester was a local manufacturer  which
threw some support money at the orchestra in exchange for that "endorsement".

Lester (the town) is located along the Delaware River, right next to
Phila.  If you've ever flown into Philly, you've probably (briefly) been in
Lester, as the main runway extends across the county line into Lester.  I
used to drive by the old plant on the way into town to go to the Academy of
Music and Philly Orch concerts.

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.