Rebushing centers/mystery center pinning

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:39:02 -0600

Hello Barbara,
     Some comments interposed.

Barbara Richmond wrote:

> Robin,
>
> Do you think if I did some tests on pieces of bushing cloth, I'd be
> able to tell anything?

      To test  the method with methyl alcohol you could try it with an
old flange and bushing  if you have one lying around, which you probably
do.  This will probably show whether the  two will work together or
not.  Tomorrow, I'll try it here in my shop and report back to.  I very
much doubt there could be any problem  using the three ingredients
together but I am no chemist either.  I do know, though, one should
avoid breathing fumes from any of the three where possible.
     Using it on bushing cloth could only show whether the  mixture was
compatible with  the alcohol.  I don't see how it would indicate much
otherwise so why not use a real bushing which is in place and much more
true to the situation  one is trying to test.

 I was thinking in particular about the 90/10 acetone/ CA mix and also
trying out some with a bit of methyl alcohol mixed in, too.  Does
anybody know if I'll blow up or pass out or anything?  (That last one is
the important one, I'm not a chemist.)

> I repinned some again yesterday, following very precise directions by
> folks who should know.

     I use similar methods in pining and did with the Tokiwa flanges;
they were inadequate due to the excessive softness of the bushing cloth
which had been used to bush the set.  I  had little expectation these
suggestions would help here. They are predicated on acceptably
densified, or adequately hard bushing.    Possibly by taking the pin
size up to 25 you could get come  stability for a longer while, but
this, again, is probably only going to be short lived.

>   I was more aggressive in my burnishing and working the flanges and
> just generally pinning tighter, but by this morning, they had loosened
> some (I measured each step using my gram gauge).   The flanges went
> from too tight before working the flange, to the high end of being
> acceptable after working the flange. This morning they were at the low
> end of acceptable--which is OK as long as they stay there, but I
> have a funny feeling they won't stay there for long.

     They are very unlikely to stay there long at all.  Again, the
problem that I see, judging from your description is likely  do to an
overly soft  bushing cloth have been used.  They may well, actually,
have been sized at the factory but this effort has not densified the
bushing sufficiently, which was probably too soft to begin with.  The
use of  water again, may render them acceptable,  although I doubt this
will occur.
       In my opinion, it is necessary to do something due to the overly
soft cloth, which is similar to what one does when rebushing keys, that
is, through a similar process to the glue-sizing done when  replacing
key bushings which  allows the glue in that case to wick into the felt
and size them to a certain dimension.  While we are not actually trying
to size the bushing, I think to a certain dimension, we are trying to
increase its functionaly density which impregnating the felt matrix with
a very thin deposit of plastic does, I believe.

>  After this test of my pinning technique, I have come to the
> conclusion that perhaps I'm not totally incompetent after all----maybe
> just partially....   :-)

     I don't think your technique is at all in question, rather, it is
just another case of  technical inadequacy on the part of the supplier,
of which there continue to be an abundance of instances.  In my opinion,
when buying parts from any supplier, who represent  themselves as having
a professional level of competence, much less the elevated, somewhat
pretentious claims of this particular one, technicians should at the
very least receive a professionally adequate product.  Sadly, with this
company, and numerous others this is frequently not the case.  And this,
notwithstanding the tremendous, dominating understanding and
superiority  in all matters technical it once readily displayed.
Regards, Robin Hufford