Help with "bad" tuning...need help

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:18:03 -0500

Hi Doug,

I haven't had much experience with tuning pianos very flat or sharp,=20
but I can relay what I've read on this list.

Assuming the piano is capable of being tuned to 440, some have=20
suggested they like to bring the piano all the way up to 440 in the=20
first tuning session - via multiple passes or over-compensating when=20
setting the first pitch(es) (something like A442 if bringing it up from=20=

A436). I thought I had read from some who don't think repeated visits=20
are necessary, but I'm sure there is some debate about that. Also, they=20=

tend to charge more for a tuning with a pitch raise, which is=20
understandable - particularly if they're doing multiple quick passes.

However you decide to handle a pitch raise, what James Grebe said I=20
think is good. Make it specifically (rather than casually) known=20
up-front what the customer should expect as far as what is required=20
from you to get the piano in tune (as he says, "another tuning in 2=20
weeks and then 3 months").

- John

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available