Help with "bad" tuning...need help

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:23:58 -0600

In this whole matter, the explanation always comes first so that there =
is a reason for the piano to behave like it does, not an excuse for it.
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups
(314) 608-4137
WWW.JamesGrebe.com
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010
BECOME WHAT YOU BELIEVE!
pianoman@accessus.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Bec and John=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 8:18 PM
  Subject: Re: Help with "bad" tuning...need help

  Hi Doug,

  I haven't had much experience with tuning pianos very flat or sharp, =
but I can relay what I've read on this list.

  Assuming the piano is capable of being tuned to 440, some have =
suggested they like to bring the piano all the way up to 440 in the =
first tuning session - via multiple passes or over-compensating when =
setting the first pitch(es) (something like A442 if bringing it up from =
A436). I thought I had read from some who don't think repeated visits =
are necessary, but I'm sure there is some debate about that. Also, they =
tend to charge more for a tuning with a pitch raise, which is =
understandable - particularly if they're doing multiple quick passes.

  However you decide to handle a pitch raise, what James Grebe said I =
think is good. Make it specifically (rather than casually) known =
up-front what the customer should expect as far as what is required from =
you to get the piano in tune (as he says, "another tuning in 2 weeks and =
then 3 months").

  - John

    As a new piano tuner, I am learning a lot as I go and tune different

    piano=92s and typically I am tuning the older piano=92s and some =
new/better

    ones.  This past Sat. I tuned a piano for a home that had a console

    that had never been tuned =91in a long time=92. I warned them that I =
might

    break strings and that it will go out of tune quickly because of the =
condition

    of the strings and the piano itself. Well I was called back by

    the customer saying =91the piano is still out of tune and you must =
not

    have checked it before you left=92.  Before I left I told him, =
=91your piano

    is most likely going to go flat somewhat because it has not been =
tuned

    at all in such a long time (20+ yrs) and that it should tuned every =
6 months. The

    piano was old and recently had some action work, but the strings =
looked

    old and dirty.  I was careful not to break any strings and when I =
left it sounded

    good and the funny thing was the customer said it sounded good after =
I finished.

    It was not that out of tune, A440 sounded like it was between =
g-sharp and a, but

    not an entire half/step off.

    =20

    So, what do I do now? Has anyone been in my shoes before? Go back =
and

    do a =91free=92 fix it up tuning, or tell him, he has to pay for a 2
    nd
    tuning. Is this

    going to risk my reputation? He had the action done by another local =
PTG member

    and I am afraid that if I don=92t go back and =91fix=92 this, I am =
going to get that

    reputation and the other PTG member might tell others about the =
=91part time=92 tooner,

    which I do not want to be and this is why I joined the PTG, to get =
better. Any

    thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

    =20

    I thought the tuning was good, inspite of the condition of the piano =
and the strings.

    It sounded alot better, but I knew it was going to need another =
tuning soon.

    =20

    Any advice, thoughts?

    =20