regulation problems in Aeolian era M and H 50"

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:55:20 EST

In a message dated 12/18/04 5:48:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kam544@gbronline.com writes:

> >> Salutations,
>>
>> I've got some regulation problems on a 50 inch Mason upright from the 70s.
>> I've worked on other Aeolian uprights of that vintage, and some of them
>> have the same problem.
>>
> >> The initial problem was that the keys weren't bottoming out on punchings.
>>  It seems that it's been that way since new(though they bought it used).
>> There was a huge gap between the bottom of the key and the punching when the
>> key was depressed.  This led to hammers blocking, bobbling, and a feel that
>> could only be described as spongy.
>

> Something is preventing the keys from contacting the front rail punchings.
> Whatever it is, I'd be looking to find out.
>
> >> At my last visit, I added punchings, and improved the feel somewhat, but
>> some of the bobbling is still there.  I also had to increase letoff distance
>> in some areas of the keyboard an unacceptable amount to get it to work
>> without hammers blocking against strings.
>>
>> I think that the main problem is that the key height is too great.  It was
>> somewhere around 70mm, though I forgot to write it down.  More precise
>> measurements are necessary, and they will be forthcoming after my next visit
>> there in January.  Blow distance is at 1 7/8(the only thing in the piano that
>>

> Taking the measures you is not going to solve the problem.
>

> >> I tried lowering the key height on a few sample keys by removing balance
>> rail punchings, but there was nowhere near enough aftertouch.  Should I try
>> increasing blow distance to 2 inches or more?  Any ideas???
>

> Increasing blow distance is only going to exacerbate the situation.
> Decreasing the distance will enhance aftertouch.
>

> Find the reason for, "... There was a huge gap between the bottom of the key
> and the punching when the key was depressed ...", and all will be revealed.
>

> Keith

Keith,

That's what's been causing me problems.  I've searched and searched, and I
can't figure it out.  I've decreased blow distance, and there was not enough
aftertouch and bobbling hammers regardless of how I tried to regulate it.

I'll try to get back over there sometime early in the new year and see what I
can figure out.  Very frustrating piano.

Thanks for the input.

Dave S.