why sell maintenance the customer won't notice?

ANRPiano@aol.com ANRPiano@aol.com
Sat, 25 Dec 2004 10:36:21 EST

List,

So far only two options have been mentioned, either do everything the piano
needs, or only do the tuning work.  How about a middle route.  Living  in
Chicago, I rarely find a piano close enough to pitch to get away with a  single
pass, so I always allow enough time for two passes and 15 min.   Every piano we
see needs something; the most tweaked out piano could have its  let off double
checked, and the average piano we see could use several hours of  work.  I
know most owners rarely spring for this extra maintenance but I  believe I owe
it to the piano and all who will play the instrument for it to be  in the best
possible condition.  In the course of each visit the piano  will get tuned and
regulated.  Now granted you can't do a  lot in 15 min. but you can at least
get the let off improved in the middle range  or get the middle couple of
octaves more level.  In some cases the tuning  may not be all that bad but the
regulation may render the piano virtually  unplayable so I will do a minimum
amount of tuning work and spend the remainder  of my time doing triage on the
action.  I concentrate on the worst problem  first.  Over the course of several
years the piano may gradually become  more playable, the student may continue
lessons a little longer, the piano will  get more service, more music will be
played, and the world will be a better  place.  All this because we spent 15 min.
turning a few capstans.

Andrew Remillard