Joe Garrett's tool belt

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 25 Dec 2004 08:52:10 -0800

Greg Graham asked: "Joe,=20
=20
I watched a video tape of you teaching a class on "Tuning the Extremes" =
(borrowed from Randy Potter's library), and have been wondering ever =
since about the little tool pouch you had on your belt.  For the benefit =
of those like me who are relatively new to this craft and are looking =
for ways to improve our efficiency (and who also dig cool tools), would =
you care to list what essentials you keep in this holster, if you still =
do? =20
=20
For those who have not seen Joe's "utility belt", it looks to be a =
small, open top, compartmentalized leather pouch about as wide and long =
as a large cell phone holster, but thinner.  He wore it on his right =
hip, I think, closer to his back pants pocket.  (We see a lot of Joe's =
"better" side in the tape :-).  It was thin enough that it would not be =
noticeable under a suit jacket. =20
=20
Thanks for the great class, Joe.  What's in da bag?"
=20
Greg,
My kids call it my "Nerd Pocket"!<G>
The original "prototype" was a plastic pouch, made to hold glasses and a =
pen. I just had a nice leather one made, by my excellent shoe repairman. =
I've gone through several, over the years.
The items that I carry in it are: 1. 6" ruler w/inch & metric. I use =
this for inserting my mute strip, in areas that are not easily =
accessable with the fingers. (I use the Piano Hospital Method of mute =
strip insertion.) This ruler goes in the thin pouch, that was originally =
designed for a pen. 2. A small screwdriver w/magnet on the handle. This =
also goes in the "pen pouch". (handy for regulation, lid screws, etc. =
Best use is extracting paper clips, staples, etc. from the soundboard!) =
3. In the main pouch I have a standard ball point pen. (For billing =
purposes.<G> Also my Drafting Pencil. Next is a fine point felt tip pen. =
This is use for recording the tuning data, Temperature/Humidity readings =
& misc. info, on my business card, (which doubles as a "Tuning Record") =
Next, is a "Sharpie", indelible pen for quicky "touch-up" on Black =
pianos & coloring bridge cap surface(s). Lastly, is Screw Gauge, which =
is the most important item when putting "mis-repaired" pianos back the =
way they were meant to be.<G>
I hope this answers your questions. I am lost without this "tool bag", =
so I wear it all the time. (Kinda like the gun slinger that feels naked =
without his gun and holster!<G>)
I'll have it on at the National, K.C.
Best Regards & Happy Holidays
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.