Trip Charges - when to apply and why

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 07:21:56 -0500

Hello Phil,

The way I do it for tunings that are more than 25 km from my house, is that
I figure how much I would like to charge for the mileage if I was going
there for only 1 tuning (mileage + driving time at 1/2 my hourly rate).
Then, I divide by the number of tunings I have to do. This way, I can
explain to these people that if they know of other people that have pianos
tuned the same day, they will get the benifit of shared mileage charges.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Phil Bondi
  Sent: 14 fevrier, 2004 07:08
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Trip Charges - when to apply and why

  Hello to all.

  I am going to open a dialogue regarding trip charges. I have personally
been avoiding this charge since day one, and I am starting to think that
this type of charge needs to be applied in some cases. If you read on, I'm
hoping you can offer some insight.

  -I got my break in this business doing dealership work..floor tunings and
warranty tunings. The dealership doesn't care where they sell to, so there
are times when I go a long ways to do a warranty tuning(my price to the
dealership recently went up for this work, regardless of locale)

  -The growth in this part of the country is starting to migrate north of
me - approximently 30 miles from my home and beyond.

  -I know what you're thinking: Establish a 'territory' when trip charges
don't apply, and go from there.

  -For those that charge trip charges, is there a set fee or does it change
in regards to the mileage from the home?

  -Let's say I have 2 appts. in Tripcharge City. The 2nd appointment is 10
minutes away from the first appt. Do you apply a trip charge for the 2nd
appt.? - and is it the same as the charge to the first appt.?

  -Would you start to apply a trip charge to those in Tripcharge City that
have been customers for awhile?

  -I tend to wrestle with this kind of stuff and perhaps dwell too much on
it - but I do want to be fair to my clients and especially to myself.

  I look forward to your comments.

  Phil Bondi (FL)